Daily deal websites have been around in Cairo for about 6 months since February 2011, during this period the daily deal industry have evolved a lot from offering low quality deals that has lots of conditions and restrictions to much better quality daily deals that offer value to consumer…
As more and more people turn to social media sites, the idea is becoming more appealing to both the local businesses and the consumers, there are now 6 major deal sites in Egypt basically covering Cairo and trying to cover Alexandria as well but not so much success so far covering other Egyptian cities.
I’m writing reviews about all these 6 sites in order to help you know what to expect from each site, that said don’t go crazy with the deals thing and spend your money wisely!
Here is a list of daily deal websites in Cairo and my reviews about them:
Cobone. Cobone is one of my favorite deal sites in Cairo, they are a good money saver as they bring places where i usually go, so it’s not only about going and exploring new places but rather saving money on everyday places, i bought 2 deals so far one for Trianon Cafe and another one for Grey Lounge in New Cairo. Visit Cobone.com Here >>
- Few limits and restrictions, usually deals are valid in all restaurant branches and on all menu items
- Reputable website with good experience in several middle east countries
- The offer 5% additional discount when you buy online with Master Card
- Invite your friend and win 46 LE is a kind of hoax, i invited a friend before and he purchased but i never for the money, talking to the customer service, they mentioned that the deal value should be more than 46 LE in order to redeem that money but the deal was only for 30 LE. Didn’t like that…
- The site could use little bit more work on bug fixing, displaying the right map location, importing contacts from email, …
Offerna. is the Egyptian daily deal site with a full local flavor, as the name suggests it means “our offers”. Due to this reason Offerna is one of the easiest names to remember, as the same matter with other popular sites which has a local name such as Masrawy, YallaBina or FilGoal….
Offerna stared off the wrong foot, when they offered deal with good brand names but with so many restrictions that made the offer lose its value, for example they offered a meal in Abou El Sid with half price, however it was restricted to a certain branch, at certain weekdays and a certain dish! That said, it seems they got over this problem recently when (i got confused, it was darenadeal who made this bad abou el sid offer http://www.darendeal.com/deals/index/4-EGP-89-Instead-of-EGP-183-for-a-Delicious-Meal-of-Authentic-Oriental-Cuisine-for-Two-at-Abou-El-Sid-(Set-Menu-of-2-Salads,-an-Appetizer-and–Abou-El-Sid.mhtml) Offerna made recently a very successful Ramadan Iftar without any restrictions to days or branches, this offer sold 1,382 times! Visit Offerna.com here >>
- Most deals are available at prices less than 50 LE
- Deals are getting better over time
- Some venues that offer the deals are not well known
- Many deals discounts are 50% not more
Dare’n’deal. Darendeal is world class daily deal website, everyday literally you will see a new offer, sometimes two offers are released in the same day. So you will never get stuck with that Thai massage ad for one week on the site waiting for a new offer to be released. Although i have never personally bought a deal from there, you will find a few past deals with over 1,000 or 2,000 purchases like spend a day by the pool for 35 pounds. Visit Darendeal.com here >>
- Highest number of deals in terms of quantity
- The Arabic site is fun to use, it seems that they have specialized editors in Arabic section who write in the same language we speak, not the formal Arabic thing
- You can easily miss a deal if you don’t check the site on daily basis
- Mostly restaurant deals, not much of other lifestyle deals
GoNabit. Acquired by Living Social, you would expect the $ 1 billion daily deal giant to dominate the market in Egypt and kill the competition, well No. Unlike expected the website is poor in terms of deals and content, since the beginning of Ramadan i have seen tens of Iftar and Sohour deals on many websites… Guess what GoNabit have for us? Ice cream offer!! Visit gonabit.com here >>
- Supported by the giant Living Social
- Website and daily deals are below the quality you would expect from Living Social
- You can’t browse the older deals
eDealo. With deals targeting class A, eDealo is trying to expand the daily deal business to other verticals such as travel, eDealo have launched the vacations sections with Trips inside Egypt including Sahel and Red Sea and outside trips as well. Visit www.edealo.me here >>
- Penetrating new verticals such as travel and vacations
- Past deals are not listed
- New deals are not as frequent as other deal sites
Dealwaty. The newest member of daily deal websites, just launched about 2 weeks ago, so it is early to judge the site now. The site now probably started the same way as other deal sites but with the advantage that people know learned the concept in Egypt. Visit dealwaty.com here >>
- Upcoming deals is a good idea to present some teasers for the new deal
- The past deals don’t seem to do very well, yet it’s early to judge
- Live online support
- Comes in English only – no Arabic
I’m sure more to come soon!
Haladeals. The new Cairo based daily deals site has not started yet its marketing campaign, with less than 2k likes on facebook as compared to 160k likes in other giant sites, you can assume that the message is not reaching the audience. That said the site looks neat and have a few but very nice deals in cool restaurants and cafes specially in Maadi area. This website could make it to the top with the right marketing efforts, now offering iPad 2 as gifts in a competition. Visit haladeal.com here >>
- Good quality deals in very nice places
- Bilingual support
- Needs more marketing efforts to spread the word. Also makes you think, are these too many players in the market now, or there is still space for more?
Offeratak. Egypt Yellow Pages have just joined the daily deals and group buying sites business by launching its daily deals aggregator Offeratak.com. Offeratak is a patent pending daily deals aggregator that collects deals from Cobone, Offerna and Dare’n’Deal. Visit Offeratak.com here >>
Also read this nice comparison to the popularity of daily deal sites in Cairo
Learn more about Offeratak by visiting Offeratak blog
12 thoughts on “Cairo Daily Deal Sites Comparison”
My article got published on the daily deal media…
Check it out http://www.dailydealmedia.com/cairo-daily-deal-site483-reviews/
I loved the article and I applaud your effort in collecting information about all of the daily deal websites in Egypt. This is a booming industry and is certainly worth tracking. However, maybe because there are a lot of websites you didn’t get the chance to get the full user experience and in-depth details for each one. For example, in your article you mentioned that “Offerna started off on the wrong foot when they offered deals with major brands, but they were loaded with restrictions. For example they offered a meal in Abou El Sid for half price, but it was restricted to a certain branch, at certain weekday, and to a certain dish!”
As I work at Offerna, I can assure you that Offerna.com featured Abou El Sid only once and that was during Ramadan (selling 1300 e-vouchers) – it never featured the deal before that, I think you were referring to another site.
I thank you again for your effort and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can help you with any information about the industry.
Indjy, you are absolutely right, i must have got confused on these tons of offers, the offer i meant about Abou el sid was done by Darendeal not offerna http://www.darendeal.com/deals/index/4-EGP-89-Instead-of-EGP-183-for-a-Delicious-Meal-of-Authentic-Oriental-Cuisine-for-Two-at-Abou-El-Sid-(Set-Menu-of-2-Salads,-an-Appetizer-and–Abou-El-Sid.mhtml
I have updated my article.
Thank you for your clarification and i’m glad you loved the article 🙂
Stay tuned more to come soon…
Nice comparison to the popularity of daily deal sites in Cairo http://offeratak.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/darendeal-one-step-away-from-offerna-and-cobone-trying-to-catch-up/
There’s also http://www.sankadeals.com and http://www.stonehits.com 🙂 Thanks for info.
fi website esmo ” http://www.farafeero.com ” beygamma3 kol el sites di
Very nice article. I am registered almost in all of them. I bought so many offers that saved a lot of money. Good work Mohamed.
thanks for this comparison, but i think u can add http://www.ocaziondeals.com to this comparison also…. it deserves.